Recently implemented in our platforms, the Sync tool enables the management of settings and layouts in different setups and computers. Resume your studies from where you left off, anywhere!
By activating this functionality in all registered licenses, the platform will periodically send the settings files to our cloud servers, saving them in a backup format. So, when reinstalling or installing your platform on another workstation, the files may be uploaded immediately.
In this article, we'll explain this tool's features.
NOTE: Before enabling sync, we strongly recommend a local backup of your settings at File > Export Settings.
Firstly, make sure that the Sync is enabled on your main installation, accessing Tools > Settings > Sync. To activate it, slide the switch highlighted below:
From this point on, the platform will create Restore Points (up to three in total) at regular intervals (up to ten minutes or when layout changes are detected). These settings will be saved on the cloud and can be used either to return to previous settings or to access them in another installation.
To activate Sync on newly added installations follow the above steps again.
This time, an on-boarding window will open and offer you three choices: Send data (the platform will only create settings backups and sendings and will not upload saved settings). Download data (the platform will be able to gather uploaded settings from the cloud). There's also the alternative of not uploading synced data and saving the files only locally.
To upload the same settings from the main platform, set the Sync to Download Data. This way, the platform will upload the most recent Restore Point. If the new installation will serve as an extra point of data transfer, set it to Send data to the cloud.
- Sync also works between different versions of the platform (e.g. it is possible to upload backups from Vector Pro into Vector Basic). However, the unavailable resources on Vector Basic will not be uploaded from Vector Pro. For example - Vector Pro’s saved layout has an open SuperDOM window. When this layout is uploaded through Sync to Vector Basic, the SuperDOM will not come along.
- If the main platform is uninstalled, the settings can still be recovered through another installation, as long as the main platform has generated Restore Points before being uninstalled.
- Backups saved on the cloud are persistent and cannot be deleted, only overwritten. For example - There are three restore points. In case a fourth point is created, it will overwrite the earliest one:
- Cloud Synchronization is only an extra resource to ensure your settings' safety. The process of creating local backups is still very important. To make a local copy, access File > Export Settings, but before doing that, save any alterations you have made through Desktop > Save Desktop.
- After enabling Sync on the primary and secondary platforms, please wait a few minutes for the creation of the first Restore Points. Keep in mind that there is a required time to ensure all settings are fully uploaded.
Please rate it below! It's important that we work together to make our Help Center even more complete.